Ever since I was little, anytime we ordered Chinese takeout, the order would have to include a Hong Kong Style Chicken entrée. My favourite restaurant in the Windsor area is a place called May Wah Inn, located on University Avenue. After eating this meal on numerous occasions and tasting all the flavours for what’s included, I decided to test out if I can make it on my own.
Here is my very own homemade Hong Kong Style Chicken! Don’t forget to tag me if you make this!
Ingredients: (Serves 2)
For deep frying:
2 1/2 cups of vegetable oil and deeper saucepan.
For the chicken:
1 breast chicken, cut into 1.5 inch strips ( I used one package of sliced chicken breasts)
Salt + Pepper, to taste
1 egg, beaten
1 cup of regular flour or cornstarch (either works fine)
For the sauce:
1/3 cup vinegar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tbsp. tomato puree
1/8 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp cornstarch or flour, to add into sauce before you cook with it
For the dish:
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 pineapple ring
1/2 small onion, cut into chunks
1/4 red pepper, cut into chunks
1/4 green pepper, cut into chunks
(I used one whole green & red pepper, I used about 6-7 cubes of pineapple)
1. Heat the oil in a pan on medium-high heat while you prepare all other ingredients.
2. Prepare the chicken. Cut 1.5 inch strips. Season the meat with about 1/2 tsp salt and pepper. Pour half a beaten egg in and coat the chicken pieces. Then mix in the flour or sorn starch and coat the pieces again.
3. To make the sauce: I In a saucepan, pour the vinegar and add the granulated sugar in. Heat these up on low heat until the sugar dissolves.
4. Add the ketchup, tomato puree and Worcestershire sauce and mix. Put this to one side as the sauce is now complete and ready.
5. Turn the oil to low heat. Take your chicken pieces and place them individually into the oil. Move them around, with a wooden spatula, so they don’t stick to each other. Fry them for 3 minutes.
6. When the chicken pieces start to float, turn the heat to high and fry for an extra 1 minute. 7. Take chicken pieces out onto a plate. Make sure there are two paper towels on the plate to absorb the oil.
8. To put the dish together. Use a different pan or wok. Heat pan on high heat. Add 1 tbsp vegetable oil.
9. Add in peppers, onion and pineapple and fry for 1 minute.
10. Take the sauce and add sauce to the pan and cook for 1 minute.
11. Add chicken pieces to the pan and stir everything together. Once everything is coated with sauce, it is ready to serve.
*Served with boiled rice.