As soon as September arrives, I get excited to bring out all the Fall things – decor, scented candles but most especially my yummy Fall recipes. One of my favourite Fall comfort foods is Stuffed Peppers. Stuffed Peppers makes me think of my Mom and my Nonna. They always cooked the BEST stuffed peppers and I would do anything to taste one again. My stuffed peppers are made a bit differently. I don’t use ground beef or green peppers. I enjoy them with ground chicken and sweeter orange, yellow or red peppers. Ready for the best Stuffed Peppers of your LIFE?
– 1 package of ground chicken
– 2 cups of brown rice (cooked)
– 6 (medium sized) peppers
– 1 medium can of tomato sauce (I usually use Hunts or my homemade sauce in the freezer).
– 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
– 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
– salt and pepper to taste
– 1 cup of Monterey cheese
– pinch of Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Place the rice and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and cook 20 minutes.
3. In a skillet over medium heat, cook the ground chicken until evenly browned.
4. Remove and discard the tops and seeds of the bell peppers. Arrange peppers in a baking dish with the hollowed sides facing upward. (Slice the bottoms of the peppers if necessary so that they will stand upright.)
4. In a separate bowl, mix the browned beef, cooked rice, 1 medium can of tomato sauce (leave a little aside for topping), garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Spoon an equal amount of the mixture into each hollowed pepper.
5. Mix the remaining tomato sauce and Italian seasoning in a bowl, and pour over the stuffed peppers. Sprinkle all the cheese on top.
6. Bake 35-40 minutes in the preheated oven, basting with sauce every 15 minutes, until the peppers are tender.
7. Let cool before eating. Serve with a side salad.